The BE Retainer is a totally unique Optimal Orthokeratology RGP retainer
for the correction of modest myopia and low amounts of astigmatic error. The
design and technology behind the BE Retainer is attributable to years of research by
optometrists Dr. John Mountford, Dip.App.Sc., F.A.A.O., F.C.L.S.A. and Dr. Don
Noack, Dip.Opt. (W.A.), from Brisbane, Australia.
The BE Retainer is described by its designer, Dr. Mountford, as follows:
- The BE Retainer is NOT based on a fitting relationship wherein the Base Curve Optic
Zone Radius (BOZR) of the retainer is determined by the refractive change required.
This is the “Jessen Factor”, in that if a 2.00D Rx change is required, the BOZR
of the retainer is 2.00D flatter than K and/or has an extra 0.50-0.75D “compression”
factor added. The Jessen Factor has not been scientifically validated. The BE Retainer
is not based on this model.
- The BE Retainer is designed using topographical data only. Each retainer is individually
designed to the patients individual corneal topography.
- The BE Retainer uses a scientifically validated predictive program that relates
corneal shape to refractive change.
- The BE Retainer is designed to control the fluid forces in the tear layer to cause
controlled and predictable corneal shape and refractive change.
- The BE Retainer is designed by an amalgamation of corneal shape and squeeze film
forces. The retainer is, in effect, the platform that produces a required tear
layer profile for an individual corneal shape that produces squeeze film forces
that effectively control epithelial redistribution causing the desired
- The BE Retainer is supplied with a diagnostic computer program that refines the retainer
design to increase first fit ñ fit success.
- The BE Retainer is not a true reverse geometry or 4-curve retainer design. The back
surface geometry is unique.
- The BE Retainer comes with a fully integrated computer fitting program designed to
assist in not only diagnostic retainer determination but also problem solving and
- The BE Retainer is not limited to specific diameters.
- The BE Retainer employs a unique tangential periphery curve combined with a
hyperbolic curve to give a truly conformal edge design.